Sunday, September 9, 2007

September 10: FEAR VERSUS FAITH

There is a great cancer that has buried itself deep in the innards of the American population. No, not a physical cancer! I speak of the emotional cancer of fear. Since September 11, 2001, the idea of terrorism has been so spread by the media and sown by the politicians that even new fears have been born.
Fear paralyzes people and freezes them to inaction. Many of our fears are inherited from our families. For instance, my mother’s fear of water has always affected my love for water sports.
Fears are unreasonable, intellectually we know that, yet we cling to them. The fear of failure? Being alone? Being unattractive? Inheriting a family history of suicide? Fearing marriage commitment because parents divorced? Fearing that God is mad and will not forgive me if I ask? These fears, like all the other fears, breed anxiety and a feeling of impending doom. You just can’t relax.
Do you want out of that?
Read this: “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.” (1 John 4:18 NIV) “Perfect love” is Jesus and His feeling for you! Love and fear can’t co-exist! Jesus can do major spiritual and emotional surgery on you and start removing the fears. You can’t drown them. You can’t medicate them. But you can be freed from them.
David said, “When I am afraid, I will trust in you.” (Psalm 56:3) Love in, fear out! “The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear?” (Psalm 27:1)
Give your fear to God and replace it with “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable; if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8 NIV)
Reminder: What you think in your heart controls you. Root out the fear. Surrender to Jesus and his love.

“God, I know you did not create me for me to harass myself with negative
fears to rob me of joy. Set me free from my fears. Amen”

No comments: