Saturday, April 21, 2007

April 22: THE CHANGLESS CHRIST

I was born a part of what some sociologists called “The Silent Generation”. I lived through the Buster and the Boomer generations. I went through the Post Cold War. From my 70+ years I watch Generation X. The world is changing and changing. And I, as a Christian, am charged with the responsibility of teaching an unchanging message: “Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forevermore.” (Hebrews 13:8) How do I do that so the message doesn’t sound dated? Or old fashioned? Or irrelevant?
When the Israelites were in bondage in Babylon (Psalm 137:2) their captors requested that they sing their hymns of praise to God and they asked “how can we sing the songs of Zion in a foreign land”? So how do we present the changeless Christ in a changing world? We do it by personal relationship.
Paul explained his strategy in I Corinthians 9:19-22 “though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the Law I became like one under the Law (though I myself am not under the Law) so as to win those under the Law. To those not having the Law I became like one not having the Law (though I am not free from God’s Law but am under Christ’s law) so as to win those not having the Law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men, so that by all possible means I might win some.”
The numbers of people who are predisposed to the Gospel are shrinking. This generation doesn’t understand Biblical concepts. To this modern era they sound strange.
So, where to start? We must win them by building loving and caring relationship. They will know we are Christians by our love.

“Loving Father, there are so many loners and isolated people who
don’t connect with anyone. Help us build a bridge of love. Amen”

No comments: