Monday, April 23, 2007

April 24: A BALM IN GILEAD

One of the most moving appeals for help and support in a time of crisis is found in Jeremiah 8:18-22. The emotional pain felt by the Prophet and his congregation immediately strikes a responsive note with us because of these ongoing tragedies.
“O my Comforter in sorrow, my heart is faint within me. Is the Lord not in Zion? Is her King no longer there? Since my people are crushed, I am crushed; I mourn and horror grips me. Is there no balm in Gilead? Why then is there no healing for my people?” Practically, Jeremiah asks, “If God is a God of Comfort, why am I not being comforted?” He goes on to lament that if his head were a spring of water and his eyes were fountains he would weep unceasingly for the “slain of my people”. Many of us identify with these emotions. We join the chorus of voices, “Is there no balm in Gilead?”
In the area of Gilead the people made a good living growing trees and herbs to make a soothing aromatic ointment or oil that was used for relief from several types of pain. Yes, there was balm that could be purchased for physical distress but only God can help a sickness of the heart.
Jeremiah’s heart was broken because of what was happening to his people but he could not help them.
When life suddenly thrusts us into a heart-breaking situation, we are caught between the two extremes of human helplessness and a God-given solution. We must make a choice between plunging on alone or reaching out to receive the balm that God offers. 2 Corinthians 1:3 says God comforts us in our trouble so we can comfort those in trouble with the comfort we have received.

“Tender and Loving God, we place our aching hearts in your hands for
the gift of healing. Amen”

No comments: