Monday, June 4, 2007

June 5: MY FAVORITE BIBLE VERSE

Let me tell you my favorite verse in the Bible. It’s found in the Gospel of John, chapter 1, verse 12: “For to everyone who received Him, to all who believed on His name, He gave them the right to be called children of God.” This verse says it all. Every non-Christian in the world needs this verse. Every church-going religious person, operating on a second-hand religion, needs this verse, too.
The affirmative offer is for anyone who will receive Jesus; not for those who want to read about Jesus or think about Jesus or argue about Jesus. The key is to receive Jesus. Notice: not receiving sacraments or ordinances of the church but receiving Jesus. Many have stumbled at this point and ended up miserable. You need to receive Jesus the same way you would any other guest who would come to your door; you open the door and invite him into your life. Another way of saying this is “to believe in His name.” The word “believe” means to trust with all your heart.
When all of the historical facts about Jesus have been assimilated in the intellect, you transfer all of this to a faith commitment to Jesus.
Or, when you believe enough in what you know about Jesus you trust your life to Him. Instantly, He will make you His child and give you the right to be called “a child of God.”
This experience is also called “the new birth” or “the second birth”. This is a spiritual birth in the inner person that will be evidenced by a new lifestyle. I don’t remember (of course) the day I was born the earthly child of my mother and father, but I will never forget the day I was born the child of my heavenly father. Now you know why I love John 1:12. Try it on for size, you may come to love it, also.

“Dear God, as You have used this verse to be such a blessing in my life,
I pray that this verse today will change a reader’s life for eternity. Amen”

No comments: