Saturday, December 29, 2007

December 30: A TEMPTATION WARNING

I was driving south on Interstate 95. Even though I was going 65, everyone was passing me. It was like a race track, people were weaving in and out, overtaking and passing. Suddenly, the traffic slowed down and everyone stayed in the proper lane. Why?
A state trooper was sighted up ahead! He had a powerful effect! Why did the people slow down? Fear getting caught? Fear paying a fine? Fear being seen by friends? Why is it, for many people, a slight reminder of law-breaking makes them stop? If people know right from wrong, why does it take an external stimulant to do right?
We have the promise of 1 Corinthians 10:13, “No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” You don’t have to surrender to every temptation.
Paul describes his own struggle in being a civil war site between good and evil. “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” (Romans 5:16) “For I have the desire to do what is good, but I can’t carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do, this I keep on doing.” (Romans 5:19)
Add to this the warning from Numbers 32:23, “You may be sure your sin will find you out” and hear the state trooper’s siren again.
There is a better way to a life of relaxed obedience. Jesus promised in John 16:13, “When the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you in all truth.” When you receive Jesus, you receive his Holy Spirit who becomes your constant teacher to show you the right thing to do. Just listen! God loves us too much to leave us helpless in the face of temptation.

“We have all developed this stubborn streak, Loving Father, and we often
want to flirt with temptation and sin just to see what will happen. Forgive
us! Again! Amen”

No comments: