Sunday, March 4, 2007

March 5: THE BLESSING OF DISCIPLINE

It takes a mature person in faith to accept discipline and be grateful for it. From our childhood, most of us view discipline as punishment, deserved or undeserved. David had grown spiritually when he said in Psalm 141: 5 (NIV) “let a righteous man strike me, it is a kindness; let him rebuke me, it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it.”
When was the last time you prayed, “Lord, discipline me”? Much more easily do we say “bless me”. Haven’t you read The Revelation 3:19 (NIV) “Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent”. I hope you wouldn’t allow your child or grandchild to remain on a destructive path. In the same way the Lord has to chasten us. The wise man in Proverbs 19:18 says “discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.”
It often seems that society has forgotten how to discipline. When a teacher or person in authority gives discipline to children, it often results in a legal charge. Parents who were never disciplined don’t discipline their children nor do they want others to do so. Love and caring expresses itself through discipline. It means “I love you too much to allow you to continue on this path to destruction.” “The Lord has chastened me severely, but He has not given me over to death” was David’s testimony. (Psalm 118:18 NIV)
The road to destruction has no stop lights or barricades. Discipline is often painful, always restrictive, but the results are worth it. “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” (Hebrews 12:11 NIV) You can trust God, He will do it right. If things are not turning out right in your life, ask Him to discipline you. His discipline will be in love and will do you good.

“God, there are a lot of crooked paths in my life. I give You permission
to straighten them out and give me strength to walk on them. Amen”

No comments: