Friday, December 28, 2007

December 29: POSSIBILITIES AND OPPORTUNITIES

Looking into the future today I can see the New Year struggling with his diaper while the old year is tottering toward the edge of the stage. I don’t think he expected to age so quickly, and neither do we. As we look today toward the yesterdays and the tomorrows, let us think about the possibilities.
The glory of being finite is the ability we have to grow and become better. In fact, the Bible says we should, “grow in grace”. I remember growing up on our farm and wishing the apples were ripe. I would pick an apple in July and it would taste terrible. But I could go back to the same tree in October and the apple would be sweet. That is a goal for us!
Of course, we do not automatically get better; we struggle against all that would keep us pulled down. The poet Robert Browning said, “A man’s reach should exceed his grasp or what’s a Heaven for?” Keep your eyes fixed on Heaven.
I have the concept in my mind of Jesus on the horizon and He is beckoning me to come on; as I get closer, He moves further away with the challenging call, “I will make you to become what God created you to be.” Paul said, “I press toward the mark for the prize of my high calling in Christ”.
We need a wider concept of sin at this point. Sin is anything not pleasing to God, not just actions but attitudes, also. Sins of omission are as serious as sins of commission. Aim to grow daily. 1 Peter 2:2 says; “As newborn babes desire the sincere milk of the Word that you may grow thereby.” We must not be content with mediocrity because Jesus always raises the horizons of His followers.
We should begin to pray today for the “courage of imperfection”. Heard of it? A consciousness of our imperfections does not paralyze us. I can preach even if I am not Chrysostom, I can teach even if I am not Socrates, I can study even if I am not Einstein, I can be courageous even if I am not Nathan Hale, or I can witness to Jesus even if I am not Paul. Do you get the point? A poet named Babcock once wrote, “Be strong, we are not here to play.”
Opportunities will abound in 2008 for us to make an impact on our part of the world.

“Lord, stir our souls today, please. We make excuses for our spiritual
laziness when there all so many possibilities for each one of us. Amen”

No comments: