Wednesday, June 13, 2007

june 14: FACING FEAR FEARLESSLY

If you own stock in a pharmaceutical company today, you are doing well. If your company is selling something to help people relax and forget their fears, you are doing well.
Our fears seem to be running faster and are catching up with us. Polls report that some of our “favorite fears’ are: being in a car crash, having cancer, inadequate Social Security, retirement without enough money, getting AIDS. Sorry if I didn’t mention yours. It is not a joke!
Living with fear, adjusting life because of fear, seeing a counselor for help in dealing with fear; all of these are major issues. As a Christian, I am torn between my faith and my feelings. Which one will win? The Bible tells me “there is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:15 NIV) Wow! Does that mean that my fear is my own fault?
I know that Jesus is the perfect love who is able to drive fear from me. David, in the Old Testament, had a lot of faith and a lot of fear. He concluded “When I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust.; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?” (Psalm 56:3-4)
That is a very practical approach to fear. Look it straight in the eye. Identify it. And immediately pass it on to Jesus like a hot potato. Why should you be troubled and made miserable by something that Jesus is able to defeat? God has provisions for you. He will equip you.
I met a woman in the hospital who feared dying alone. God provided a large group from our church to comfort her. He will comfort you in the face of your fears.
Whatever you fear, He is greater than your fear. Surrender your fear to God today.

“OK, God, I am ready to surrender my fears, all of them to You, I am
so tired of wrestling with them. Come now and fill this vacancy. Amen”

No comments: