Sunday, June 24, 2007

June 27: TEACH ME, LORD

Did you ever own a new puppy? If you have ever had one, you know what an adventure it is at first. After teaching “potty training”, the next most important lesson is how to walk on a leash. The dog has to be taken for walks to get proper exercising, of course. That’s when the demand for patience sets in. One thing that always amazes me is that hurting herself does not help a puppy to learn. She will run ahead and strain against the leash, choke herself in doing it, cough to get her breath and then turn around and repeat the episode even though she is going to hurt herself again.
Training puppies reminds me of so many people I have tried to pastor and teach discipline. (I wonder if God thought the same about me?) Very simply we are taught to keep our eyes on Jesus, listen to His words of instruction, obey them as closely as possible and the result will be a full and meaningful life in Christ.
But many Christians want to be Christians but don’t want to live in obedience to Jesus and then are shocked and disappointed when they hurt themselves. Trying to break away from God’s discipline is always painful. God faithfully waits on us, giving us countless opportunities to learn.
Hebrews 11:16 (NIV) even says, “God is not ashamed to be called their God.” He knows our hearts and the true intent of our wills. If our deep-down intent is to learn Christian discipline, He will hold the leash tight while we learn. “No one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand” Jesus said in John 10:29 (NIV)
Just as I held the leash tight on my puppy and try as she might, she could not snatch herself from my grasp. God has dealt with me that way for many years. When I have tried to hurt myself in disobedience, He has held firm to my life. Just obey God. Stop fighting the leash of His love. Enjoy security.

“Tender-hearted Father, we know from past experiences that undisciplined
living is only going to make us miserable. Show us fruitful submission. Amen”

No comments: