Sunday, January 7, 2007

Jan. 7: "TEMPTATION'S MAGNET"

I was driving down the Interstate at the posted speed of 65 m.p.h. I was following two cars that had not wavered from the posted limit. It was a beautiful day for a drive. I had no reason to drive faster. I looked in my rear-view mirror and noticed a string of cars swiftly approaching. They were weaving in and out, quickly overtaking, passed by at a furious rate of speed and then were gone, all 12 of them.
Then you know what? I had this sudden compulsion to break the speed limit and catch up to them. I had no real reason for a sudden urge to keep up with those breaking the speed limit. If it was alright for them, it must be good for me. Then I remembered the teaching of Jesus in Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV) "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." I was shocked at the power of numbers on my life. I didn't know the people in the other 12 cars, probably wouldn't have liked some of them if I did but I let them tempt me because there were more of them than of us. (Three law-abiding cars.)
Parents reprimand their children for saying "everybodys doing it" and then respond in certain situations with the same thought pattern. Peer pressure is great at every stage of life. One of the Devil's tricks to deceive us is with numbers; how do you measure up to the majority? Often in public elections people do not vote their own convictions but rather the vote of a popular group. Listen to God whenever there is a choice, not to the crowd. Remember this: "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV)

"Lord, we are tempted so easily. Help us not to give in so quickly, without asking your help. Amen"

No comments: