Friday, January 5, 2007

Jan.6: BACK TO BASICS

In churches I've pastored, I've always used January as a time to go back to the basics of the Christian faith and the church to make sure everyone understood the foundation truths. In these writings I deal only with basic biblical truths. Some of you reading this today may have a new found, with the start of the new year, hunger for the basics of God.
Here are my basics: First, read the Bible at least once a day. You will see it quoted daily in these Devotionals. "All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV) It is God's personal word to you through the lives of people like you, written in their own style so you could understand it. It is not a perfect book; it never claims to be perfect. If it were perfect, you and I wouldn't understand it. Don't worship the Bible. Read it. Let God speak a perfect message to your imperfect heart and things will change. In the Bible, you will meet Jesus.
The second basic conviction of these writings is that Jesus is the unique and only Savior of mankind. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6 NIV) This statement cannot confuse you. It needs no clarification, no explaining. Get alone. Read it. Think about it. Pray for God to give you light on that statement.
Prayer is the third basic of my faith found here. Jesus said in Luke 18:1 (NIV) "Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." Prayer is a dialogue: a conversation with God. I ask God for ideas, truths, and Bible verses to give to you when I pray. God is faithful to answer prayer. He says "yes", "no", or "wait"
These are my basics for living. What about yours?

"Thank you, God, for a place to stand! Thank you for basic truths that give to our lives
a unshakeable foundation! Thank you for your approval when we stand with you."
Amen

No comments: