Saturday, November 17, 2007

November 18: BLESSINGS VERSUS ENTITLEMENTS

Most of us have already made our plans for how our family will celebrate Thanksgiving and that is a good thing. With just the slightest bit of sensitivity, every American can list reasons to be grateful. Even the poor in America, as we describe poverty, have more physical advantage than most of the world.
The words of Johnson Oatman, Jr. still challenges us: “Count your many blessings, Name them one by one; Count your many blessings, See what God has done.”
There is one troublesome idea that has evolved in our culture that runs contrary to the challenge to “count your blessings” and that is the idea of “entitlement”. Entitlement is the root of much selfishness and self-centered living. It is the temptation to gather more and more stuff because “I deserve this”.
Maybe you have heard, “I work hard so I’m entitled to good things” or “I pay my taxes and I deserve the benefits”. This kind of reasoning will never will never bow its knee in thanksgiving. Even the idea that “God owes me” is heard.
Job said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I will depart.” (Job 1:21) I like that! God doesn’t owe me anything. He equips me with life and health and strength and I earn my support. I am now free to accept David’s invitation: “Let us come before Him in thanksgiving”, (Psalm 95:2) and “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” (Psalm 100:4)
Getting into a mood of thanksgiving and gratitude will release me to share my bounty with someone less fortunate. It seems trite to say “You can always find someone with less than you” but it is true and should lead us into thankful sharing.
In fact, we are commanded to be “rich in good deeds and to be generous and willing to share.” (1 Timothy 6:18) We are debtors to a liberal God. Let us give thanks!

“Give us insight, Dear God, to worship you with grateful hearts and not just
make of Thanksgiving Day another holiday party. Amen”

No comments: