Sunday, November 25, 2007

November 26: THE DYNAMICS OF ADVERTISING

The politicians are accusing their opponents of deceitful ads. They threaten terrible results for the American people because people are being deceived. Isn’t that a part of advertising; deceiving people into thinking that some product will be good for them and good for their lives?
Like the beer ads, I know they promise more than they can deliver. Does this sound familiar? “After a hard day’s work, after things have gone wrong all day, after it seems like all of life is a mess, aren’t you glad there is X brand of beer?” I recognize the dynamics of advertisement is exaggeration, making a selling point, but there is a limit.
It’s like the commercial that challenged: “Ask the man who tried one.” Plenty of people can testify to having tried the beer to see if the commercial was true and got a sick stomach, or a light head or an accident or the realization that the problem or dullness of feeling didn’t leave.. This seems to be the story of many teenagers who sneak a “cold one” from the family refrigerator.
I will be the first to agree with the advertising boys that people who feel that the world is a rat race and life has no real meaning are looking for something to help them not only at the end of the day but during the day. It is reaching for a crutch to dull the pain.
I don’t know of anything that can give man a lasting solution but I know someone. If I gave you some pet theory on “How To Be Happy Fast”, I would be like the rest of the “gimmick boys” manipulating your emotions. That’s why you should turn to this person for joy and help.
I’m referring to Jesus, God’s son, who came into the world and taught us by his life and death how we ought to live. He didn’t say there wouldn’t be hard days but he did offer, “Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 1:28-29 NIV) I am a satisfied customer.

“We tend to look for instant relief for our bad feelings or a short cut to
being able to forget our problems. Show us we can’t drown our hurts. Amen”

No comments: