Saturday, November 17, 2007

November 19: A SEASON TO BE THANKFUL

It’s the Thanksgiving season in America again and I find myself pondering the words of David in Psalm 116:12-14; “How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me. I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people.”
A spiritually sensitive person can’t help but wonder how to adequately express gratitude. A song often heard in churches asks, “How can I say thanks for the things you have done for me, things that are totally undeserved”?
It is amazing that many enjoy the bounty of the world and never give it a second thought or assume that every material advantage naturally is theirs. (Notice the people around you the next time you go to a nice restaurant for dinner; usually they plunge into dinner without a second thought as to its origin.)
David seems to be saying in Psalm 56:12 that he has made a promise to God to be thankful; “I am under vows to you, O God; I will present my thank offerings to you.” If that’s what it takes to keep us faithfully giving thanks, by all means, let’s do it!
Thanksgiving is a attitude, it is a lifestyle that is more easily “caught” than “taught”. Parents cannot teach their children to be thankful if they do not live a “gratitude lifestyle”. Lifestyle will help the children to have a gratitude perspective when looking at the big picture of life.
Paul’s writings in the New Testament have many instructions about giving thanks. This week could be a good time for you to red-pencil them. “For everything God created is good and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer”. (1 Timothy 4:4-5)

“Everyone wants to see a good week this week, Heavenly Father, but some
don’t want to ask You for it. Let the sun shine on the just and the unjust!
Amen”

No comments: