Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Feb. 14: VALENTINES DAY: READY FOR IT?

Right away, some of you are thinking “what a dumb question!” You are remembering December when you were greeted “Ready for Christmas?” That wasn’t a good question because it didn’t address the real issue. What people really meant in December was “Have you finished decorating?” or “Have you finished your buying?” They didn’t really want to know if you were ready to answer to God for the fact that “The Saviour” had come into the world.
So, if I say “Are you ready for Valentines?”, I don’t want to know if you have sent a card to your Mother or bought a heart-shaped box of chocolates for your sweetheart. God wants to know the condition of your heart. Jesus said in Matthew 12:34 (NIV) “for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.” Further, He said in Matthew 15:19 (NIV) “for out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.”
Jesus often spoke of the need for individuals to examine their hearts. When Paul was writing to the Corinthian Christians (1 Corinthians 11) about celebrating the Lord’s Supper, one of the issues he raised was the need to examine the heart before participating.
I raise again my opening question “Ready for Valentines?” or “Ready for a heart examination?” Valentine’s Day is about love (that’s what all the advertisements say). It’s not about lust (using somebody for your own selfish desires). It’s not about liking someone or feeling good when you are around them. It’s not about friendship, even. It’s about intentionally caring more about someone else’s well-being. It’s about sacrifice. It’s about giving up having your way. It’s about wanting someone else to succeed. These new and different kinds of heart motivations can only come when you let Jesus clean out that old stuff and replace it with His stuff. Ready? Or not?

“”Take my heart, Lord, it is no longer mine. Give me a
new heart, just like your heart. Amen”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pastor Charlie,
I missed your preaching so much and was blessed today when Barb Chappell sent me your blog. We now live in Charlotte NC. I will make this also my daily devotion. God bless you. You will always be the star on my tree. Thank you for telling me about Jesus, He is my King.
Georgie Winburn