Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Feb. 22: THE DESIRE FOR REVENGE

I can understand the emotion in children. Different emotions haven’t been catalogued in their minds yet and appropriate response has not been programmed into their reasoning process. When children are hurt or offended it is easy for them to blurt out “I’m going to get even with you.” I can remember early days in my life when I felt powerless in the face of injustice (real or imagined) and hoped, even prayed, for revenge.
Some, seeking solace from the Bible, are quick to point out that even King David wrote while in a spirit of wanting revenge. For me, that’s not the part of David that I like the best.
Television news shows more and more accounts of people getting revenge or wanting revenge. Notice interviews around courthouses about the death penalty! Check out the victory parties at executions.
Most of the ancient hostilities that break out into wars are based on the desire for revenge. The hunger for revenge is soul sickness. Filling your stomach on a meal of revenge is a food-poisoning.
Christians should not be vengeful people, regardless of how bad the hurt. Romans 12:17-20 (NIV) is very clear for Christians: “Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: ‘It is mine to avenge, I will repay’ says the Lord. On the contrary, if your enemy is hungry, feed him. If he is thirsty, give him something to drink.”
The Bible recognizes that anger is a powerful emotion, leading to the sadistic desire for revenge. Filter that anger through the victorious, forgiving power of Jesus and it will come out a positive emotion on the other side. Getting revenge will never satisfy.

“God, grant me the freedom to leave past hurts behind and not
be fixated on getting even. You have forgiven me, I thank you. Amen”

No comments: