Tuesday, July 10, 2007

July 11: THE STRUGGLE FOR POWER

It is amazing that we can still call ourselves The United States of America when the news everyday is a story of power struggles. Our halls of government reverberate with the sound of Republican against Democrat, liberal against conservative, PACS against lobbyist. It sifts down through state and county governments. It is no surprise that the Bible says in 1 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV) “I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone, for kings and those in authority.”
Homes shatter in divorce because the loser of the power struggle can’t stand existing in a powerless state. Internationally, terrible blood-baths are happening because of power struggles.
Will there ever be a time of peaceful unity? Regretfully, the answer is “no”. When human beings revolted against the “power of God”, the race condemned itself to endless power struggles on every front. That’s one reason why it is so hard to become a Christian, maybe the main reason. Surrendering your life means giving up control. “If you confess with your mouth ‘Jesus is Lord’, you will be saved.” (Romans 10:9)
It might even be said that all of the big power struggles in the world, (political and otherwise) are rooted in the heart of the individual and it gets magnified. Paul’s insight in Romans 7:21ff, “So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am!”
Power struggles inside make us miserable and we outwardly spread the misery. The wonderful grace of Jesus assures me it is all right to surrender to Jesus, He will not hurt me in any way. I best survive and grow emotionally in a power struggling world by living in a peaceful relationship with Jesus.

“O Mighty and Powerful God, I am tired of struggling against your
onslaught of love. I rejoice in my surrender. Amen”

No comments: