Thursday, July 5, 2007

July 6: THE FEMALE SIDE OF GOD

Have you noticed that God has a female side? That He has characteristics that our society generally associates with the “weaker sex”? I don’t mean to say that He is a wimp but just that many Christians come to trust God because of His “female-like” traits.
For instance, in Isaiah 40:11, “He tends his flocks like a shepherd; He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; He gently leads those that have young.” Hosea 11:1-4 is very graphic: “When Israel was a child, I loved him. It was I who taught Ephraim to walk, taking them by the arms. I lead them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love”.
Jesus did not describe himself as rough and tough but rather, “I am the Good Shepherd.” (John 10:7) He was not afraid to show tenderness. He cried out loud at Lazarus’ funeral and He hugged kids and held them. No one doubts the manhood of Jesus, He carried his own cross.
Yet at Little League baseball games I have heard fathers tell their crying sons, “big boys don’t cry” and mothers tell their sons, “Act like a man”. Our society has trouble with strength and tenderness or maleness and gentleness being in the same body. Marriage counselors can tell you stories about marriages floundering because of this presumed contradiction.
Maybe if more men could accept these traits of God, they could find it easier to develop their own manhood in this way. When parents say of a little boy, “He is all boy”, are they helping him or affirming traits that will make it hard for him to be an understanding father and husband later on?
I love God as my heavenly Father; my earthly father’s personality and actions didn’t make it hard for me to say that. Remember: it’s “softly and tenderly Jesus is calling”. Always respond to that gentle call.

“It is very interesting to me, Strong God, that when You wanted to
get my attention, You used a soft voice. But I heard you! Amen”

No comments: