Saturday, August 11, 2007

August 12: CONTRADICTIONS NEED CLARIFYING

I feel good. I don’t have a pain today. In fact, I probably have never felt better in my life. I exercise and I go to my doctor for an annual check-up. And guess what happened? When my doctor gave me an electrocardiogram, he discovered that my heartbeat had changed. A cardiologist confirmed it; my heart was beating too fast and out of rhythm.
In spite of my feelings that day, I wasn’t fine. Things were true that contradicted my feelings about my condition. Folks were surprised. Folks didn’t think I looked sick and I didn’t feel sick but even a lot of people thinking differently did not change the fact of my physical health.
I ponder on this from time to time. I think about a lot of people I have met. They think they are doing well, they feel good and are having a good time; life is one great success after another.
But there is another opinion that goes ignored and unheeded. Indeed, strong efforts are made not to hear it. I am talking about spiritual truth about spiritual situations. The Bible says, “it is appointed to all to die and after death, the Judgement”. (Hebrews 9:27) “Life does not consist of the abundance of things possessed”. (Luke 12:15) “What will be the advantage to a person if they gain all that life offers and then lose their soul?” (Mark 8:26)
These words of God from the Bible are unknown to many people and ignored by many others. That means the spiritual condition of many people is like I was about my physical condition, thinking one thing is true when the opposite is the truth.
Everyday each one of us walks the tightrope that borders on eternity. Are you flirting with eternal death and destruction? You can’t trust your feelings because feelings deceive. This question is too important to leave to chance or emotion.

“God, You are right; we need the truth, the whole truth, and nothing
but the truth about our spiritual condition. Please enlighten us! Amen”

No comments: