Thursday, August 30, 2007

August 31: THE DESIRE FOR SECURITY

A recent murder inside a hospital has raised a new level of concern for personal security. From day care centers to children’s departments in community churches the issue is discussed. Increasing amounts of money are being spent in an effort to guarantee security. Where can we find a secure place? We can’t! There is none. With man’s inhumanity to man, no place is physically safe and secure. What shall we do to escape the paralyzing fear of our own vulnerability? We must turn inward and find spiritual security.
David the King prayed, “I call as my heart grows faint, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.” (Psalm 61:2-3 NIV) In the Bible, the rock is often referred to as a symbol of security. “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge.”(Psalm 18:2) A favorite line of Christian hymnody says, “Rock of Ages, cleft for me; let me hide myself in Thee”.
No one becomes a Christian because it promises physical security. Hundreds of Christians die daily around the world because of their faith. But they die secure in their relationship with Jesus.
Unless you discover the liberating soul security of faith in Jesus, you can be totally intimidated by life’s threats. I remember singing as a child, “safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast; there by his love overshadowed, sweetly my soul shall rest.”
None should be careless and negligent about safety procedures, but not over-anxious when you have done your best. Soul security speaks in Romans 14:8 (NIV), “If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord”.
Our conclusion: security cannot be purchased at any price! Inner security is a gift!

“Dear Lord, You are our Protector, deliver us from the kind of harm
we hear about daily on the Evening News. Thank You! Amen”

No comments: