Thursday, January 25, 2007

Jan. 26: INJUSTICES

The Pledge to the American flag promises "liberty and justice for all." Lately there are increasing signs that this is not reality. While there are sometimes complaints about the Police and "racial profiling" there is no rebuttal to the more common injustice of depersonalizing people by assigning them "categories." The list of categories gets longer: single parents, senior adults, immigrants, illegal aliens, mentally handicapped, women, mentally ill, working poor, homeless, Afican American, unemployed. A category removes faces and personalities.
Micah 6:8 (NIV) is very clear: "He has showed you, O Man, what is good and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly." Amos 5:24 (NIV) appeals "but let justice roll on like a river." Justice is to treat people without prejudice. It is to see everyone as equal. We who are privileged must not be trapped by using our privileged status. I have "skin" privilege. Because I am a Caucasian I have never been followed around in a convenience store to be sure that I would not steal. I have "language" privilege. Because I am a born English speaker store clerks will always take my purchase first. I have "gender" privilege. Because i am a tall, cleanly dressed male I get quick attention at Customer Service. My temptation is to "use" my privileged status and say to myself "well, its not my fault that they treat me better."
I must stand against injustice. Thats what Jesus did at every opportunity. Read the Bible. Jesus ministered to anyone who came to Him. Immediately! He didn't worry about whether the needy person would be grateful or if they would use the help in a worthy manner. We need to see individuals as people for whom Christ died and respond accordingly. Jesus said in Matthew 25:40 (NIV) "whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

"God you always championed those who had no voice and no one to speak for them.
Give us voices to speak up for those who have been "categorized" and dismissed. Amen"

No comments: