Monday, January 1, 2007

January 2: Hope? or Despair?

"Frenetic activity" is one way to describe New Year's celebrating. "Depression" is another way to describe how some other folks feel about last year's happenings, including last night.
Since last year was such a "bummer", how could a New Year be different: hence, feelings of despondency.
These inner emotions will be denied by many through activity. To help the coping mechanism to work others will add ample forms of alcoholic drinks for anesthetic purposes or the so-called "recreational drugs." It is a bad scene! How sad that the most economically advantaged people in the world should be in such a psychological and spiritual mess.
How about a New Year of hope? of expectancy? of aspiration? The Bible begins Genesis 1:1 saying "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Let God do a "genesis" in your life. Give Him your New year. Give Him total control over your life. He will create a future for you that is worth living.
This message from God affirms the opportunity for people to stop the frenzied activity. Being busy and active does not solve the inner problem, it only covers it up for a while. Exhausting activity now will simply mean going into the New Year exhausted. This is a good time to face up to the effect of the narcotic of "busyness". Look in the mirror and make a spiritual inventory. Why so much running around? What am I running from? The best running you could do would be like the rich, successful politician in Luke 18:18 who ran to Jesus and said "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" and he found the secret. Paul also discovered that admitting his weakness to God was the key to success; "for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10 NIV)
"Dear Jesus, give me the gift of hope. I am so tired of living life on a dead-end road"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was having the same thoughts.
My friend invited me to a party such as you describe. I didn't end up going but many were as you described.

Also, being busy. I agree people usually make resolutions that involve even more of their over spent time. I know as a student I spend 60-70+ hours on academia weekly. I look at my life like a pie chart, how much time am I spending in what places. I always ask, do I have time to do this. But I'm not sure what I can do about slowing down and spending more time with God.

Dennis Hicks said...

Pastor Charlie, Keep it going. We all need to inspired every day. I am making this part of my daily devotions. Thank You

In Christ,

Dennis Hicks

john said...

Dear Pastor Charlie,

I'm so happy that Kathy shared your blog with me. This message speaks to my condition, and I will share it with one of my friends.

"By the tender mercies of our God
let the dawn from on high break upon us now
giving Light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death
guiding our feet into the way of peace"

loving regards,
john paul