Friday, January 26, 2007

Jan. 27: THE GIFT OF PAIN

For several years I have had "peripheral neuropathy". Don't worry, it doesn't hurt. It has robbed me of pain sensors in my extremities. I could hurt myself badly and perhaps not know the seriousness. God gave us the gift of pain to wake us up to the need for help. Some try to ignore pain, but there will be a greater cost later. Coaches often urge their players to "play hurt" and prove their toughness of dedication to the team. The effects of that idea are lasting.
I have visited people in the hospital who said "I don't have time for this pain." You must take time for your pain, it is trying to tell you a valuable truth. The pain of falling is a key to learning for the next test. The pain of falling teaches us how to get up. The pain of sin drives us to God for overcoming power. The pain of having our feelings hurt teaches us valuable lessons on asking for and giving forgiveness.
The pain of dealing with the discontent of the status quo incites us to improve our life situation. To be pained and crushed emotionally reveals the need for people to be more caring. To endure great suffering demands of me that I be more sensitive when I meet others who are suffering. Pain is too important an asset to be wasted. Times of pain ought not just be senseless and futile journeys into the unknown.
Americans spend more money on painkillers than any other civilized country. Why? Because we have been taught that pain is bad and should be avoided at all cost.
Remember: God is there in your pain. He speaks to you and walks with you in it. (See Hebrews 11) In Isaiah 53:5 the Bible says God will heal our pains. Let Him!

"God, I should have known that my pain is known to You and that You want to help me
learn from the times when I hurt. Sometimes I hurt real bad. Give me relief and insight. Amen"

No comments: