Monday, January 29, 2007

Jan. 30:: APOLOGIZE? WHO ME?

I think the two hardest words to say in the English language are "I'm sorry." I don't know why that is such a foreign idea to most people. In recent years there have been attempts at reconciliation between groups, including Church groups, and they have failed because those involved couldn't say "I'm sorry." Attempts continue to be made to legislate an apology from a certain group and the political fall-out is announced in the daily news. For some a "group apology" carries no weight. For others, it is enough that a "group apology" acknowledges that a wrong was done. One thing for sure, its hard to get a unanimous vote on a motion to apologize. I concluded from this that if I can't be personally sorry for action I did not personally commit, I can be personally sorry for the resulting pain that the offended folks experience.
"I'm sorry" must begin at home. Couples need to practice apologizing at the beginning of a marriage so the children can be raised in this atmosphere. Children learn by imitation. Apology should come naturally. (If need be, get in front of a mirror and practice saying "I'm sorry."
Some macho-minded folks think an apology is a sign of weakness. Be quick to say "I'm sorry", it shows how secure you are as a person to be able to admit that you are wrong. Don't make someone have to "demand" a apology from you. Just do it! If they say 'thats ok, I wasn't offended" just remember that you are responsible for the apology and not the results. James 5:16 (NIV) advises "confess your sins each to the other and pray for each othert so that you may be healed." Apologizing is about healing a hurt or wound and could end some of our brokenness. Apology is simple Christian kindness or politeness that leaves a sweet fragrance in the air.

"Save me from stubborness and persisting in defending my wrong actions and
words, Patient God. I need to swallow my pride and learn to say 'I'm sorry'. My family
would be glad. Amen"

No comments: