Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Jan. 31: A FORGIVENESS INITIATIVE

Did you ever consider launching a pre-emptive strike of forgiveness? Can you imagine the number of hurt feelings released, grudges not carried, hostilities buried just by the rational act of forgiving someone? Are you a member of a family where some members never attend the "Family Reunion" because of a unresolved hurt?
Yes, a pre-emptive strike of forgiveness! Like Jesus on the cross when He said "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." (Luke 23:34 NIV) He just laid out the forgiveness for those hard-hearts and ours before we asked for it. I read a man's testimony wherein he said "I did not ask for forgiveness until I knew I had been forgiven." Can you imagine the number of divorce proceedings that would have been dropped if somebody had said "I forgive you"? The longer you carry a grudge the more it hurts you. Lay it down! Make the phone call. Write the letter. Unforgiveness is an emotional sickness. James 5:16 ties forgiveness to healing.
Let's not play the game "I will forgive but I can't forget." You can't do one without the other. Peter the fisherman tried that game with Jesus. He thought it would be magnanimous if he forgave seven times. (Seven was a good religious number!) Jesus answered "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times." (Matthew 18:22 NIV) In other words, every time the bad thought pops up shoot it down with forgiveness. Ephesians 4:32 (NIV) "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." You and I both know that God has forgiven us for many more bad things we have done to Him than any human has ever done to us.
Go on, make at least one "Forgiveness Initiative" today. Blessed are the Peacemakers! Those who give it and those who receive it.

"Dear Jesus, You offered us forgiveness when we had done
nothing to deserve it. Help us by Your Spirit to copy You.Amen"

1 comment:

Ernie said...

Pastor, I believe I have forgiven, but the other party remains aloof and indifferent. I have prayed for them and tried to make amends, but they remain distant. Guess all I can do is continue to pray that the hurt, whatever it may be will go away. Thanks for all you do. Ernie