Tuesday, September 25, 2007

September 26: A HEART EXAM

In Psalm 139:23, David prayed, “search me, O God, and know my heart.” I have had heart problems for ten years, several heart procedures during this time. When I had my last heart catherization I thought about that verse. Under the care of my cardiologist, I had my heart searched. And I watched it on a video monitor. As those two little probes explored both sides of my heart, my doctor looked on carefully and later told me what it meant.
He showed me what was good about my heart and what part was malfunctioning. He also told me what was needed to be done to correct the problem and to strengthen my whole heart. I listened very closely.
There were many spiritual comparisons to be made. You see, my heart condition is an open book now, or, better said, an open video tape. There are no secret weaknesses that have not been exposed, just as my spiritual heart condition with God.
As David said in Psalm 44:20-21, “if we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god, would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart?”
The work of the Holy Spirit of God can be so powerful that an unbeliever can come into a worship service and will be convicted that he is a sinner and “the secrets of his heart will be laid bare.” (1 Corinthians 14:25) So, it is a good thing to have your heart searched, whether physically or spiritually, so you can make the necessary adjustments.
When David realized what a mess he had made in his life, he prayed, “create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10)
It is quite a dare to ask God to search your heart and examine all that is there and then expose it and explain it to you. But the spiritual blessings that can come from it are not only beautiful, but healing.

“And so we join David today, Holy God, in requesting you to examine
our hearts and show us who and what we really are before You. Amen”

No comments: