Monday, September 3, 2007

September 4: IMPROVING MY ATTITUDE

Have you read Psalm 139 lately? It is the Psalm that describes how well God knows us and all about what makes some of us want to have a special, personal relationship with God. There in verse 14, David makes this statement about how we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.”
We are born with such potential and we begin to learn from the atmosphere around us. We absorb like a sponge character traits from our caregivers. We pick up attitudes that will “enable us” and “equip us” in our daily life to get along. We fill in the blanks by imitation when we don’t know how to respond.
For instance, we learn to hide our true emotions and push down our feelings. If you don’t have Godly parents who will “Train up a child in the way he should go” (Proverbs 22:6) we go off to fend for ourselves and develop negative attitudes. Then one day we wake up and look in the mirror and say: “Why am I like this? I don’t like me.”
That’s when Psalm 139 revives my hope. God is not surprised at my conclusion! He knew that we would come to this day. He wants to put us back on track for a full and meaningful life. He asks, “Will the ‘real you’ stand up?
Five ingredients can give you a winning attitude as a Christian: (1) A sensitive Christ-like outlook. (2) A value system that knows people are more important than things. (3) A positive self-image that God can give his children. (4) Daily spiritual assurance based on such Biblical promises as John 10:28, “No one can snatch me out of my Father’s hands.” (5) An eschatology (view of last things) that lives each day as if it is your last day because you will see God face-to-face someday.
Recover the sense of wonder in your life! Read Psalm 139 again! Take it all in! Let God give you a new, refreshed attitude.

“O God, when I am sick and tired of being ‘sick and tired’, please be there
to take my hand and show me the way to higher ground. Amen”

No comments: