Sunday, May 20, 2007

May 21: THE GOD WHO SUBTRACTS

So many of our prayers are “prayers of petition”, that is they sound like a “shopping list”. We seem to never get enough “things”. It dawned on me that I am very glad for the things that God has subtracted from my life. I agree with the Prophet Isaiah in his recounting of what God has subtracted or taken away from His children.
“Surely He took our infirmities and carried our sorrows. The Lord has laid on Him the iniquities of us all. For He bore the sins of many.” (Isaiah 53:4-6,12) He paid the price I could not pay for my guilt, He took my penalty. Wow!
This view of God as one who subtracts begins in Genesis 4:13 when Cain is dealing with the guilt and rejection he feels after he murders Abel. He prays: “Lord, my punishment is more than I can bear.” God forgives him and subtracts the guilt.
Remember how Job observed “the Lord gives, the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.” Job 1:21) We hear Jesus praying in Gethsemane: “My Father, if it is possible, take this cup from me.” (Matthew 26:39) David was happy to report in Psalm 103:12: “as far as the East is from the West, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.” Paul rejoices in God’s covenant with us “when He takes away our sin.” (Romans 11:27)
This Subtracting God’s work is described in Hebrews 9:28 as “taking away the sins of many people” through the work of Jesus. Here is an offer: Any physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual pain you have God wants to take away from you because He loves you.
In a final projection for believers, the Revelation 7:17 says “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” Hebrews 4:15-16 says God is “touchable” and that we should approach Him with confidence. God adds to our joy by subtracting our sins.

“God, You challenge us to place our every burden on You for You want
to give us relief. Help us today to accept the challenge. Amen”

No comments: