Sunday, May 6, 2007

May 7: WHEN SINGING RETURNS

As a Pastor I have been called to minister in many situations of desperate heartbreak and grief. I have quoted to people many times the words of Psalm 30:5 “Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.” Notice, the Bible did not say “Time heals everything” or “Just wait and you will feel better,” because these statements are not true.
Many people grieve for many years and openly confess “I can’t get over it.” Human beings don’t heal automatically. David could say Psalm 30:5 from his personal experience at the death of his son because he brought his broken heart to God for healing. Jesus, the Son of God, can take our burden and give us a song of joy to replace it.
There is a beautiful passage in Song of Songs 2:11-12 when Solomon proclaims: “See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come.” Here is a vibrant picture of a believer waking up with a renewed sense of life. The coldness of his soul has thawed, and it is time to sing again. You simply can’t sing with a lump in your throat! But God has been working for a while to lift the face of the sorrowing to see the Sun of Righteousness.
I remember a chorus from my youth: “Yes, Jesus took my burden, I could no longer bear; Yes, Jesus took my burden in answer to a prayer. My anxious fears subsided, my spirit was made strong when Jesus took my burden and left me with a song.” Some questions are so deep that only God can solve them, such as “survivor’s guilt” after a battle, or a massacre, or a hurricane. God’s love is demanded to break that wintry hold on the spirit.

“Lord, bring back the springtime to our hearts, take away the cold of
death. Just warm our hearts, we pray. Amen”

No comments: