Tuesday, May 22, 2007

May 23: STRENGTH SUFFICIENT

I feel like saying to you “hurry and read this, you are going to need this,” some of you in the next few hours, some in the next few days. “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” (2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV)

Thanks for reading so far! Now I know that you know the basic spiritual answer for every bad time coming to you. Imagine being a parent in the high school shooting tragedy. Imagine being the spouse of a Prisoner of War. Imagine the worst possible case scenario. Hear yourself saying, “I am glad nothing like that has ever happened to me. I couldn’t stand it.” Typical response! But, for the person of faith, you are not enslaved to give the typical answer.
In the context of the Bible verse Paul is talking about being tormented by a strong personal problem. He doesn’t think he can stand it. He is at the end of his rope. He has no place to turn. In his moment of greatest desperation, Jesus says, “My grace is sufficient for you. You will get through this. You are not defeated. In spite of everything, you will endure this.” This is the message of Jesus to His children.
I read the paper daily. There is page after page of personal tragedy, family brokenness, and community pressures. I try to imagine the number of people affected and how deeply by these events. Then I wonder how many of the hurting people know that God’s grace is available. How many will stumble on alone? How many will turn to drugs, prescription or street corner type to numb their pain?
God’s power is perfect for your weakness. Test His grace!

“Lord, I know I am weak. I know that I can’t make it on my own. I
don’t want a crutch. I want your power. Please! Amen”

No comments: